Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Machine questions

Author: Russell Gadd
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Machine questions
Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Russell Gadd wrote:
>> Hi Sean,
>>
>> Since you said you didn't have any problems installing it this way I
>> tried it. However it failed just the same. I kept my eyes on the
>> "details" panel and the same error flashed by, although Synaptic
>> didn't tell me about it when it had finished. In any case the Ubuntu
>> community website recipe uses apt-get which does use the version in
>> the repositories.
>>
>> I haven't resorted to trying to install the source manually and
>> compiling, as clearly others have been able to do it the easy way
>> with dowloaded binaries.
>>
>> I may try installing it under Debian Etch (as I have it as one of my
>> multibooted OS's) to see if I can get any joy there.
>
> Darn, was hoping for a quick-fix there!
>
> What version of Ubuntu Gutsy are you using Russell - 32-bit or 64-bit?
> I am a little curious as to what might be missing from your build that
> is preventing a successful installation via the repositories.
>
> Sean

This is 32 bit. See the post from James below - this might be the
problem. However I have managed to install it ok on Debian Etch just
using aptitude and it seems to be working - hopefully I can install an
OS now. No doubt there will be other issues.

So I will drop the Ubuntu effort for now. Actually there's now another
reason I might switch to using Etch instead of Ubuntu, which I might
post about in another thread in the near future. Thanks for your responses.

Russell