Re: [Hampshire] Downloading MP4s from the BBC iPlayer

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Downloading MP4s from the BBC iPlayer
Andy wrote:
> On 13/03/2008, Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:
>
>> Am I missing something, but is this content DRM-protected or not?
>>

> No. The MP4 file had no DRM.
>

>> The second statement appears to make a mockery of the first.
>>

> No it doesn't. DRM provides no additional security.
> Security is defined by the weakest link in the chain.
>
> Currently that is the Over the Air transmission.
> Coming in a close second is the path from screen to users eyes (no
> encryption, but in analogue).
> Following that is DVD (encrypted but with weak keys)
> And probably after that is MS DRM.
>
> Provided the method they use is no weaker than the current weakest
> (over the air, plaintext) then they have not changed security.
>
> Thus not DRMing a file is not compromising security as it was already
> available unencrypted being blasted out from transmitters.

Indeed, and if the Beeb were serious about protecting the rights of the
owners they'd make the programmes and lock them in a vault, or better
still shoot the writers before they had a chance to express the ideas
that might eventually make it to tape and be broadcast to us undeserving
wretches.

Bah! It's a lot easier to download it from TVTorrents than it is to
fathom out the rights and wrongs of it all!

:-P

Sean