Re: [Hampshire] Unsupported Etch updates

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unsupported Etch updates
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:44:58 +0000
"Russell Gadd" <russ.mail.lists@???> wrote:

> I really much prefer to wait and run stuff after it has been
> properly tested and debugged, so Debian Stable really appeals to me
> as a system more than Ubuntu. (I also much prefer simplicity rather
> than fancy stuff - I'm not sure if Ubuntu is going down the line of
> being too bloated).

I'll probably get flamed if I comment, but my bias is well known :-)

You could try Debian Lenny, I know it hasn't been released as such
yet but testing is "almost" at the point of becoming lenny but you
would then get gnucash 2.2.3-2.

> I presume the Debian philosophy is that fixing most software is not
> a Debian issue (exceptions maybe are security problems).

Not true, Debian maintainers do lots of bug fixes but if they are not
security issues they probably wont get put into etch since the whole
point of it being stable is just that - it don't change,. Even a
'point release' which etch has recently had won't change much, so you
are going to be stuck with gnucash 2.0.5-1 if you don't want to move
on to lenny

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server