Re: [Hampshire] Disk images and virtualisation

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Disk images and virtualisation
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:53:00 +0000
Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:27:56PM +0000, Tim wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 March 2008 21:56:33 john lewis wrote:

> > > Thanks for that tip Sean. Doing that means a windows app that
> > > previously reported no disk in drive can now see the data disks.
> > >
> > > Only problem now is that it won't let me open the CD drawer
> > > once I have finished with the CD or need to change it (one data
> > > set I use consists of 5 CDs). Clicking on the drive icon and
> > > telling it to eject does nothing.

> > Can't you put a straighten paperclip in the little hole on the
> > front of the cd drive to release the cd draw??
>
>    I really wouldn't recommend that. It could well stuff up the
> driver, requiring a reboot before you can use the CD-ROM again.

I can confirm it isn't a good idea, I had to replace the drive after
I prodded it with a paper clip and found it would no longer open by
pressing the button or using software 'eject' under linux, it was a
cheapie drive and not at all a smooth opener like the Teac one I
replaced it with

>    Most virtualisation systems (VMware and qemu certainly) offer
> options for switching out a CD or CD image, and replacing it with
> another. I would be surprised if VirtualBox didn't allow it. Take a
> look through the documentation again?

I will have to do the unthinkable and FTFM :-)

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server