Re: [Hampshire] Disk images and virtualisation

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Disk images and virtualisation

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x573a7100.hantslug.org.uk.5118': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Mar 19 20:55:22 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 08:04:03PM +0000, John Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:59:19 +0000
> Dr Adam J Trickett <adam.trickett@???> wrote:
>
> > I found using physical media a pain and I convert phyiscal media
> > into iso files, or simply use a downloaded iso file directly
> > without bothering to burn it to CD. It has the twin advantage of
> > being both a lot faster and more reliable than read CD/DVDs. Both
> > VirtualBox and Qemu are happy to mount iso files as CD/DVDs.
>
> trouble is you can't easily get hold of xp.iso or vista.iso

Stick disk in drive. "dd if=dev/cdrom of=xp.iso bs=2048". All done.

Hugo.

   --- Comic Sans goes into a bar,  and the barman says, "We don't ---
                         serve your type here."