Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Links to site from Google failing

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Links to site from Google failing
On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:48:06PM +0000, Nick Chalk wrote:
> I've checked the hosting provider's logs, and
> there's no errors reported by Apache. The failing
> attempts don't appear in the access logs.
>
> Any ideas what could be causing this?

Sure you're looking at the right logs? Maybe they are going in the main host
error log and not the one specified in your virtualhost stanza? Just
stabbing in the dark really, but I'd be amazed if a 500 didn't give an error
_somewhere_ on the server.

I note that if I grab the url from google:-

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.jamiescomputerclub.org.uk/contact.html&sa=X&oi=smap&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=3&usg=AFQjCNHmDwVY3qPukEjqqmtS2Q5MXittKQ

And then wget rather than click it, it goes fine. Which may be due to wget
not processing the page, and thus not getting some other collateral that is
causing failure.

Also try disabling the google analytics urchin link?

You don't have any funky .htaccess with RewriteCond doing something silly
with the HTTP_REFERER do you?

Cheers,
Al.