[Hampshire] Gigabit networking under Xen

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Gigabit networking under Xen

Morning,

I've googled this but haven't had any luck yet. I'm running Xen 3.1 with an
Ubuntu 7.10 AMD64 dom0. The hardware supports VT and I'm using full BIOS
emulation with (currently) two domUs, one Windows, one Debian Linux. The
server has a Broadcom gigabit NIC. (Actually it has two, but I'm out of
switch ports so can only use one ATM.)

The domUs both have 100Mbit cards, using the default Realtek chip. Having
read the Xen networking guide[1], as far as I can tell each domU is only
able to use 100Mbit on its NIC. Is it possible to get domUs to emulate
gigabit NICs, or otherwise increase the bandwidth available to a given
domU? I know you can "pass-through" a PCI device to a domU, but as I
understand it this stops other domUs and dom0 from accessing that device,
and I need networking in all the domUs and dom0!

Thanks,

Tony

[1] http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenNetworking