[Hampshire] Mounting a USB drive

Author: Graeme Hilton
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Mounting a USB drive
Hi,

I've got a large USB disk which I have previously connected to a RHEL box
and transferred data to and from with no issue. Now that I have some data
that I really need (!) it decides it doesn't want to play.

I plug in the disk and power it up and I get:
usb 1-5.1: new high speed USB device using address 7
in dmesg and
Mar 31 12:30:08 dhcp-187-158 kernel: usb 1-5.1: new high speed USB device
using address 7
in /var/log/messages, but no mention of where it's put it in the /dev
heirarchy.

There's no new entries in /dev/ that indicate the system has found a new
device.

The disk worked fine on Friday connected to another RHEL box, but seems to
have failed (or this RHEL box has something changed) over the weekend.

Any ideas?

--
Graeme Hilton