Re: [Hampshire] More fun with a SLUG (NSLU2)

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] More fun with a SLUG (NSLU2)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Phillips" <alex@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 5:15 PM

> Cayenne-uk wrote:
>> Having got this connected, my next goal is to connect a NTFS formatted HD
>> it. Looking through the options, I should be able to do this with the
>> latest
>> firmware (V2.4R63). This has been around since 2005. I have only just
>> bought
>> this device, it's firmware is V2.4R24!! Anyone else bought one of these
>> recently? And what was the firmware as shipped?
>>
>> Kelvin
>>

> Just for info, when you first connect a USB HD to a SLUG, the linksys
> firmware will want to format it for SLUG use, and will wipe the contents
> and reformat as ext3.....
>
> The native SLUG firmware won't read NTFS drives.
>
> HTH,
>
> Alex.
>
> (Proud turbo-slug owner).

Yes - I'd echo that. It seems the slug writes its own fs to your USB HDD
and this is just not compatible with NTFS. I.e. if you plug it into a
Windows box, Windows won't be able to read it and the slug can't read an
NTFS formatted drive.

I bought one of these at Christmas - and while it works, it's a bit slow and
the web interface is a little clunky. My linkstation (purchased 2006) has
a rubbish interface - but it's still better than the NSLU2. To be honest,
I got no sense out of it whatsoever until I got the R63 firmware in situe.

I'd be interested to see if anyone finds a similarly priced alternative
(asides from the obvious 10 year old desktop PC with a USB port).

Cheers
Rob