[Hampshire] Serial Ports

Author: Peter Brooks
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: [Hampshire] Serial Ports
Hi All,
Our radio station has just purchased an Audioarts Air 2+
(http://www.audioartsengineering.com/audioarts_consoles.html#air2) ,
of which has a dsub-25 connector as in this diagram:
http://www.theneb.co.uk/air2Dsub.png

We're also using a canford on-air light, of which has technical specs
as given here:
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/resources/datsht/02-050.pdf

All of the start common/channel needs to be received by our custom
software on our pc and the 'on air tally' needs to be sent to the
canford on-air light.

Can all this be done via software? Ie I plug the dsub-25 into our
computer and then receive the start signals, log the 'on air tally'
and send the signal to the canford on-air light via another serial
port.

Or does this require some form of external electronics?

Cheers

--
Peter Brooks