Re: [Hampshire] Persuading a school to start using FOSS

Author: Alan Bell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Persuading a school to start using FOSS
yup, there is nothing quite like spending a few hours mucking about in
the guts of your computer, but I will admit, it is not for everyone!

Myself and partner-in-crime Alan Lord
http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com/content/view/32/71/ have spent a
bit of time thinking about how to make an entertaining presentation
about Free and Open Source software. Without giving too much away (as
you might end up seeing it and I wouldn't want to spoil any surprises)
we set up a projector and couple of laptops stuffed full of software and
do a bit of a role play, covering a day in the life of a small business
about to launch a new product. We use OpenOffice.org to edit a press
release and update a spreadsheet, send each other emails with
Thunderbird, update a page on a Joomla! website for the new product,
call each other and leave voicemails on an Asterisk server, muck about
with product images with the Gimp and our logo in Inkscape etc.

It is a bit business focussed, but quite adaptable, we can add and
remove applications from the demo quite easily to fit time constraints.
Everything in the demo is Free, and pretty much all of it is installed
from the Ubuntu repositories.

If I was doing a similar thing with more of an education focus I would
probably try to cover Moodle and work in something about 1:1 computing
(One laptop per student).

Alan.