Re: [Hampshire] Hants server experiencing problems

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hants server experiencing problems
On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:41:39 +0100
Phil Clarke <phil@???> wrote:

> A very definite +1 on the recommend for BitFolk.

I signed up for the smallest package and got access by midday
yesterday. I chose to have debian lenny (surprise! surprise!) for the
OS and I found it surprisingly complete.

All I needed to install were geneweb, apache2, mc and apt-cacher and
then copy over the files for geneweb and the Kingsclere website. Once
I had ownership/permissions sorted out I could access the databases
and the website by using the IP address.

I do have to install gallery and see if I can get it to see the
original albums I set up. I will also have to try setting up a
firewall as suggested on the bitfolk website.

All in all an almost painless process to migrate my stuff from the
LUG box to a VPS.

Hopefully Mark Lewis will get the DNS stuff sorted out for me and I'll
be able to use the startx name before too long.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server