[Hampshire] Re: [Surrey] Looking forwards

Author: Antony
To: General Linux/Unix community List, hampshire
CC:
Subject: [Hampshire] Re: [Surrey] Looking forwards
On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 08:48:40 +0100, "Dominic Cleal"
<domnews@???> said:
> Hello,
>
> Looking a few weeks forward to the May meeting, hosting at the
> University of Surrey isn't possible. It's exam season and we're unable
> to get any suitable rooms, even over a few weekends.
>
> I've had a couple of suggestions off-list:
>
> Antony has suggested a pre-school in Redhill that has a decent sized
> hall. After approaching them a while ago regarding its use for BaB
> meetings, they realised that they could be making some money out of it.
>
> If members can afford to and would be happy to volunteer £2 at this
> upcoming meeting, we could probably be able to raise around £25 or so
> for the room. Anthony's offered to speak to them again, so we will
> hopefully hear back soon as to whether this is an option (once his home
> router is fixed).
>

> As the May meeting would be a joint one with Hants, Adrian has offered
> to ask Hugh if it's possible to use Southampton for this meeting. If we
> can organise some car pools between us, I'm sure that we could probably
> reach So'ton en masse. I'm sure they'll need a good amount of notice to
> see if this is possible.
>

> Thoughts or further suggestions?
>
> (My apologies to John and Adrian for only just getting round to this
> again).

News just in from the pre-school is that their hall is available for the
day on May 10th.

It's 20 miles east of Guildford at RH1 6NW, 1.5 miles from Reigate or
Redhill stations. There's a kettle etc. and wireless internet, and
pubs/supermarket/chippy 10mins walk away.

I explained to the owners that members would have higher travel costs
here making numbers hard to predict, and estimated we could maybe raise
around £25 as above. They've responded that they "will require at least
£35 as we hire the hall for £55 for 4 hours" (for weddings), and they're
weighing up whether they want to hire it out for any less.

So if you'd be interested in using this venue it would be helpful to
hear from prospective attendees from Hants in particular, and from
Surrey members on Saturday. We need an idea of numbers attending and
what voluntary contributions to expect. Unless another venue is
forthcoming it would also be helpful to start collecting contributions
from 'definites' on Saturday as Dominic described, as they may require a
deposit to reserve the hall.

Anthony

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - I mean, what is it about a decent email service?