Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Disturbing Gmail observation.

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Disturbing Gmail observation.
2008/4/10 Graham Bleach <graham@???>:

> <speculation>
> Information could leak in this way if gmail cached ad targeting data
> based on the ID of the email. If one or more of the Bcced: recipients,
> or the original sender (both of whom are party to the secret
> information) reads on the email first, causing the targeting data to
> be cached. When the other recipients of the email read the email,
> they'd get the cached version.
>
> For most messages this would not be obvious because the recipient
> addresses probably aren't interesting targeting data.
> </speculation>

Ho hum. My colleague Percy is back now and is wondering what on earth
I am on about. Turns out there were no Toms in his email at all.
Unfortunately I did not snapshot the screen when it came up, and it's
not doing it now.

So much for that theory. Maybe it was just a "million monkeys =>
Shakespeare" phenomenon.