Re: [Hampshire] Server failure

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Server failure
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:13:48 +0100
Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 01:06:58PM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton
> wrote:
> > On 17/04/2008, john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:
> > > md: Auto detecting RAID arrays
> > > md: Considering sdc1
> > > md: adding sdc1
> > > md: adding sdb1
> > > md: adding sda1
> > > md: created md0
> > > md: bind <sda1>
> > > md: bind <sdb1>
> > > md: bind <sdc1>
> > > md: running: <sdc1><sdb1><sda1>
> > > md: raid1 set md0 active with 2 out of 2 mirrors
> > > md: autorun DONE
> > >

> > Won't that normally appear as a device in /dev/mapper/
> > The name of it might be anything.
>
>    You're confusing dm and md. This is md -- the Multiple Devices
> driver, also known as the RAID subsystem. It creates devices called
> /dev/md*. The Device Mapper (dm) is used as the basis of LVM, and
> puts its device nodes in /dev/mapper/.

>    It's true that you can put DM devices on top of MD devices (and
> the other way around), but there's no hint of that here yet.

I didn't use LVM
1. I don't understand how to use it
2. they are only 6.3Gb discs so not much room available to expand file
systems into.

There is only one partition on each drive.

I think the case contains an IDE drive that isn't currently
connected. This probably has a bootable Debian system on it.

It is a complex box with two scsi controllers, one has hardware raid
that I couldn't get debian to recognise so it is used just as a scsi
controller for the three 6.3 drives. The second scsi controller just
has the zip drive and a (DAT?) tape drive attached. There may be
other stuff in the box but it is two years since I last had the case
open.

It has been powered down a few times previously and has come back up
without any problems in the past. Most of the time it sits under my
desktop (there is only just enough height to squeeze it under) and
whirrs away fairly loudly as servers do. Having taken it out I
realised it should have been dusted more often :-(

I don't use the zip drive or the tape for backups as I use rsync to
keep /var/lib/geneweb in sync with my main system and the laptop. It
just so happens I hadn't done an rsync to either yesterday morning as
I was busy trying to get the laptop to recognise the new wireless
card and doing some admin stuff relating to apache2 on startx.co.uk

I will have to consider making this rsync business a cron job on my
main system and do it every four hours perhaps.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server