Re: [Hampshire] Server failure

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Server failure

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56eaa100.hantslug.org.uk.31852': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Apr 17 16:17:57 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 03:59:55PM +0100, John Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:40:03 +0100
> Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:
> >    You didn't answer my second question, regarding the content of
> > /dev/md0 -- is this a single filesystem on its own, or is there a
> > partition table on it, or LVM?

> that is cos I didn't read the question carefully enough :-(
>
> Well it won't have LVM for reasons mentioned in earlier email. So far
> as I can recall I did an <mdraid --create /dev/md0> or similar and
> then added drives to it.
>
> I would have followed instructions similar to the Howto I mentioned
> earlier and I don't think that talks about creating file systems on
> the /dev/md0 device, I'd have to have a careful read of it to be sure.

If you didn't create a filesystem on it, then it would basically be
useless, and you wouldn't have stored any data on it...

> Does this answer the question?
>
> mdadm --examine /dev/md0
> mdadm: No md superblock detected on /dev/md0

Not really. You could try:

# cat /dev/md0 | file -

which may show you what the contents of /dev/md0 is (i.e. what kind of
filesystem). If it doesn't show anything useful, or claims that
/dev/md0 isn't a device or doesn't exist, then you will probably need
to assemble the array by hand.

What does /proc/mdstat show? If it tells you about /dev/md0, then
the array is up and running and you should be able to mount it. If
not, then you will have to assemble the array by hand.

Try:

# mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

If that complains about too few devices, try:

# mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1

(if there are any other errors, stop and tell me what they are).

Hugo.

    --- The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that ---
               heralds new discoveries,  is not "Eureka!",
                          but "That's funny..."