Re: [Hampshire] [OT] ? CPU problem?

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] ? CPU problem?
> I suspect that it's loading files from the root FS initially using
> the BIOS disk interface (which is, of course, as slow as a two-legged
> sloth swimming in treacle). Then at some point it unloads the base
> BIOS disk driver, and tries to load the correct hard disk driver and
> remount the root filesystem, and that's the point it goes off the
> rails.

That's exactly what it was.

Unfortunately, the problem occurred *either* when using the BIOS shipped
on the machine, *or* when using the vendor-supplied drivers for the SATA
interface - and it was (AFAIK) impossible to tell the difference between
the two situations. Cue many hours of re-installations working that one
out :-(

But Fedora loved that machine. Fast and simple :-)

Vic.