[Hampshire] Weird HDD Behaviour

Author: Mark Johnson
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Weird HDD Behaviour
Hi All,
There's something weird going on with my hard drive, so I thought I'd ask
if anyone else has had similar experience.

Right, I'm running Kubuntu Gutsy with Kopete as my IM client. Whenever any
other program does anything, the hard drive behaves has expected. The
light flickers when it's reading/writing, and it makes that electrical
whirry/buzzy noise that hard drives make.
However, when a contact's status changes on Kopete, something odd happens.
The Hard Drive lights comes on (not flickering, just on) for about a
second, then it makes a "bzz-bzzz" sound like it's reading/writing really
intensely (exactly the same sound every time), then goes back to normal.
While this is happening, anything on the same virtual desktop "locks up"
somewhat (i cant type or click anything), and then it passes and we're all
back to normal. The reason this strikes me as particularly odd is that I
can't think of anything that Kopete would need to do with the hard drive
when a user changes status (except perhaps writing to a log file, but it
does that whenever I send/receive a message without locking up).

Has anyone else had a similar thing happen? Does it sound like my hard
drive is on it's way out? I've backed up all the important bits just in
case.

Cheers,
Mark