Re: [Hampshire] Simultaneous sound from headphone jack and s…

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Simultaneous sound from headphone jack and speakers (Ubuntu 8.04)
AdamC wrote:
> I am experiencing a problem on my Novatech laptop whereby sound
> continues to play from the built-in speakers even though headphones
> have been plugged in the jack.
>
> Now, I am due to call Novatech tech support about this issue, but I
> wanted to clear up the possibility of it being a software problem
> before wasting a lot of time on the phone waiting for them to answer
> me.
>
> Is there anything I can do to investigate whether this is possibly a
> software problem?

I had this on my Samsung Q45. No audio came out of the headphone socket
at all. Then I enabled the headphone tick box on the Volume Control
(mixer) applet. This enabled both the speakers and the headphone output.
I had to mute the sound via the speaker icon in the Gnome toolbar to
quieten the speakers. The headphone output still worked.

You don't mention what distribution you are using, so I can only give my
example.

Tony