Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Replacement hard drive question

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Replacement hard drive question
Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:
> And SCSI/SAS/FCAL drives are available in 10kRPM
> and 15kRPM models, which are essential for high
> performance.

Well, high random-access performance, as might be
expected of a server. Big SATA drives tend to beat
SCSI drives at tasks requiring sustained high data
rates, such as video editing.

Comparing SATA and SCSI test results on
storagereview.com is informative.

> SATA 10kRPM drives are rare and 15kRPM ones
> either don't exist or are incredibly rare from
> what I can see.

The WD Raptor SATA drives are 10k RPM - are there
any others? I don't know of any 15k RPM SATA
drives yet.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.