Re: [Hampshire] Samba & XP Pro - Disappearing My Network Pla…

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samba & XP Pro - Disappearing My Network Places
Simon Capstick wrote:

> We've made a recent upgrade from Debian sarge (old stable) to Debian
> Etch (stable). The server is running Samba, using a pretty much
> identical config as before. However we are now experiencing random
> disappearances of 'My Network Places' shortcuts to the server. Each
> Windows XP Pro PC has 8 or so shortcuts to shares on the Samba server.
> Each day one or two different users lose one or two of their shortcuts
> to the server's shares.
>
> Has anyone seen this before, or know what the cause is? Otherwise I
> will just have to create a folder of regular Windows shortcuts for each
> user, and accept one more pane of Windows is broken.

Sounds more like it could be a Windows XP only issue, however you may need
to check the master browser settings for your workgroup, if you use domain
logins you could use a .bat script that runs as a user logs in or on boot
if you don't, that cleans up old network shares then re-maps them.

e.g.

net use j: /delete
net use j: \\server\share

Always worth checking if windows updates have recently been applied to all
your workstations.

Are there any hostname resolution problems? Perhaps lmhosts needs checking.

Just some pointers, if you are still stuck then post your smb.conf file here.

dlb

--
Damian L Brasher
http://www.diap.org.uk