[Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian
I keep thinking about asking this, but keep worrying about starting a
Ubuntu v Debian thread! I'm having trouble finding any reference to any
directory/file permissions changes that Ubuntu have made to Debian. I'm
not a big fan (to say the least) of the Ubuntu security model (i.e. the
fact that they give a user account full root access via sudo). I'm not
really wanting to start a discussion on this [1] as it is relatively
easily fixed - so long as there aren't any significant changes to
permissions in order to give the user account access without having to
resort to a root shell with sudo -i.

I've done a bit of investigation on a box I have access to and I can't
see anything particularly worrying, but it would be nice to find an
official document. Much as I am a fan of Debian, the more pragmatic
approach of Ubuntu has made things easier to install (notably on a
server with nVidia chipsets throughout that completely floored a Debian
install without far too much work to be practical). That said, for my
own desktop I do seem to find that I'm picking apart a lot of what
Ubuntu do in order to get it setup the way I'd like as I'm not a big fan
of Gnome, even less so of KDE and the choices in XUbuntu don't match my
requirements either [2] - so I'm almost trying to recreate the Debian
install process!! Still, with by business head (excuse me Aunt Sally,
you're sitting on it) on there's a lot to be said for Ubuntu.

[1] I've been over it already on the Ubuntu mailing list and pretty much
agreed to differ, although finding some common ground in that there
should be a better alternative somewhere between sudo and root. It has
also been referenced in a security article in the latest Linux Format,
so I'm thankfull I'm not alone, although I did feel it a bit on the
Ubuntu list!

[2] My Ubuntu installs are majorly more resource hungry than my Debian
ones (desktop wise) and I keep finding odd things happening like
Evolution popping up when I've never used it (I really should purge it).

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: