Re: [Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian

Author: Simon Huggins
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian
On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 04:25:06PM +0100, john lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 1 May 2008 15:51:01 +0100
> Simon Huggins <huggie@???> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 02:53:30PM +0100, john lewis wrote:
> > > IMHO admin tasks should be done as the root user and not as a
> > > pseudo root.
> > Other than not liking it, can I ask why you think that?
> as I said it is my opinion, admin jobs are not things to be done
> lightly so having to login as root gives them a higher status sort of
> thing.

People will be lazy. People will su to root and never log out again
until they remember.

If you use sudo then at least most of the time you're not running things
as root (sudo is longer to type and people are lazy :)). It also means
you can get root privileges just for the part of the pipeline that needs
them.

sudo also times out whereas su stays logged in. Hopefully people use
locking screensavers but I know I don't always everywhere.

I quite like sudo. Obviously whatever method you use you need to
realise that doing things as root is potentially dangerous.

Simon.

--
* "Fun, fun, fun, in the sun, sun, sun..."                          *

           Brought to you by the letter Y and the number  8