Re: [Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian
On Thu, 1 May 2008 17:36:54 +0100
Lisi <hantslug@???> wrote:

> On Thursday 01 May 2008 16:38:09 john lewis wrote:
> > the semi-gui aptitude which I hate
>
> Since when John? It was you who got me into the habit of using
> it. (At the CLI, of course.) You said at that time that it kept
> better track of things than apt-get did. I know that the gap has
> closed - but to the extent that you now abhor aptitude?

you have misunderstood what I said Lisi.

I do not dislike aptitude as used at the cli. I dislike what you get
if you just type aptitude and get the semi-gui interface.

> I share your irritation that I can only do a quick install of
> Debian if I accept Gnome. I feel that I should be allowed to
> chose, as you say. And I am not at all impressed with the
> partitioner in the Lenny installer.

In what respect Lisi?

from memory you get choice of raid or LVS (which I avoid since I
don't understand how LVS works and in any case it seems pointless on
the size of hard disks I have)

plus you can choose to use the whole hard disk (without partitions),
a separate /home partition, lots of partitions (for /var /usr etc) or
manual creation of partitions.

I think the manual partitioner is now cfdisk rather than fdisk
which I find easy to use, but rarely need since I go for the
option with a separate /home.

> But that said, and Libranet being dead, I have not yet found a
> distro that I like as much as Debian for myself.
>
> Oh - and CUPS is fine again!

Good :-)

--
John Lewis