Re: [Hampshire] looking for a good reference on using textin…

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] looking for a good reference on using textinput in RSS feeds
2008/5/12 Graham Bleach <graham@???>:
> 2008/5/12 Victor Churchill <victorchurchill@???>:
>
> > There is information all over the 'net about RSS, so much that it's a
> > bit overwhelming and it can be hard to locate just what is needed.
>
> RSS is just XML served over HTTP.
>

> > What I'd like to do is to set up a feed which is password protected.
>
> I'm not quite clear what you mean by this. Do you wish to have an RSS
> feed which cannot be accessed by anyone who does not have a valid
> username and password?

That is it exactly.

> If so, you probably just want to use a standard HTTP authentication
> method. This is pretty simple to configure in apache, for example.

That might just be the solution! For some reason I'd become fixated
that the arrangement would have to use some mechanism "internal" to
XML/RSS, so wen I read about '<textinput>' thought that that had to be
the way.

Thanks for the lateral thinking - there are times when you ( I ) get
so far down one particualr train of thought that alternatives get
overlooked.

cheers

victor