Re: [Hampshire] OpenSSL in Debian is broken

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hants LUG
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OpenSSL in Debian is broken

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57aab100.hantslug.org.uk.24615': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue May 13 13:36:31 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 01:34:04PM +0100, Hugo Mills wrote:
>    All -

>    This is kind of related to my talk on Saturday, but is important in
> its own right:

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2008/msg00152.html
>
>    Basically, Debian managed to introduce a bug into their OpenSSL
> packages a couple of years ago that made the "random" numbers it
> generates predictable. This is a Bad Thing. They're recommending
> regenerating *all* of the cryptographic keys, certificates and
> signatures that you've made with the affected versions. See the link
> for more details.

Sorry, forgot to mention -- this affects SSH, OpenVPN, DNSSEC and
all X.509 certificates and sessions. It doesn't affect GPG keys,
fortunately.

Hugo.

                   --- Ceci n'est pas une pipe:  | ---