Re: [Hampshire] OpenSSL in Debian is broken

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OpenSSL in Debian is broken

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x581bd100.hantslug.org.uk.12910': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed May 14 17:35:45 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 05:27:43PM +0100, Steve Kemp wrote:

> > > However the end result is that Open Source model has allowed this error to
> > > be spotted and fixed within the day.
> >
> >    The problem was known about in January -- that's when the CVE
> > number was allocated. It wasn't discovered and fixed in the space of a
> > day.

> Not entirely true (speaking as Debian security team member).
>
> Debian, and most other Linux distributions, has its own pool of
> CVE numbers assigned which it can allocate to issues reported to it
> without needing to contact Mitre.

[snip]
> So, in conclusion, the date/size of a CVE assignment cannot be used
> to judge the age of a security issue.

Ah, OK. My apologies. I didn't know that it was arranged that way.

Hugo.

             --- Happiness is mandatory.  Are you happy? ---