Re: [Hampshire] mandrake 9.1 and ibm thinkpad x30 laptop

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] mandrake 9.1 and ibm thinkpad x30 laptop
<48311E81.4090003@???>
<2e10c9a9e9b6a9c2e22d43cb36c53265@localhost> <1211215041.4831acc1a3c1a@???>

On Mon, 19 May 2008 17:37:21 +0100, m.nuttall@??? wrote:

> Tony Whitmore wrote:

>> I wouldn't install Mandrake 9.1 at all. It's unlikely to

>> still be supported for security updates either.

> That is a potential problem but at least it will be more secure than xp

or

> 2k :)

Perhaps although I'd put an up-to-date Windows XP box up against a 5

year-old unpatched Linux distribution with interest. I suspect the exploits

in the Mandrake distribution would make it trivial to compromise.

>>I would suggest using the

>> latest supported version of Mandriva, or a "lightweight" distro designed

>> run on old hardware like Damn Small Linux or Xubuntu.

> Mandriva may be too heavy.

The X30 isn't really that old, I would expect it to run a modern distro.

> I dont know how much of the hardware is detected with the lightweight

> distros

> since they are not in the tested/documented on the site i found.

No, because (AIUI) that document is 5 years old. There are plenty of

advances in the Linux desktop world which have taken place over that

period. Hardware detection is much, much better than it was back then. It

might be worth downloading Xubuntu or similar and doing a test install. You

haven't got much to loose!

Tony