Re: [Hampshire] Gramofile

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Gramofile

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5721b100.hantslug.org.uk.7534': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed May 21 16:59:33 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 03:21:48PM +0100, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just wondering if there are any gramofile users out there and if they
> have encountered and overcome the error '/dev/dsp: Invalid argument'
> that I get on all of the boxes I have tried it on?
>
> All of the research I have done to date suggests that something else is
> using it, but I failed to find out what.
>
> I am running Ubuntu Hardy on the three machines I have tried which are
> variously two desktops and a laptop, all with differing hardware.
>
> Any clues as to what to look for or where to go next?

Tell gramofile to use ALSA instead of old-style OSS sound devices?
OSS doesn't like multiple users of the sound device. For all it's
reported API faults and infelicities, ALSA at least permits that.

You should be able to find out what's holding /dev/dsp open using
lsof:

$ sudo lsof | grep /dev/dsp

You may be able to tell that application to use ALSA instead...

Hugo.

  --- You can play with your friends' privates,  but you can't play ---
        with your friends' childrens' privates. (C++ coding rule)