Re: [Hampshire] [Way OT] FreeSat

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Way OT] FreeSat

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hugo Mills" <hugo@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:51 PM

> Yes, they are different. Freesat (as in freesat.co.uk) is done by a
> consortium involving the BBC, Channel 4 and (I think) ITV, and has HD
> content -- as you point out. "Freesat from Sky" is a completely
> separate service, run by Sky and introduced, as far as I can tell, to
> confuse customers and entice them away from Freesat to Sky (or to stop
> them from leaving).

Thanks Hugo. So the big question is - can I just plug the spare connection
from my Sky dish into a box (say Humax) I buy myself? According to
freesatfromsky - I need this £20 card or the only things I'll get are BBC1
regions. I'm wondering whether that's true.

Interestingly enough - freesat themselves (not freesatfromsky) told me that
before connecting my own box to a Sky dish that I'd need to check with Sky
that doing so didn't affect my warranty - but
a) my Sky box is now beyond warranty
b) I don't think the dish ever had a warranty - and I'm pretty sure the dish
is mine, not theirs.
c) I'm not sure how Sky would / could ever know I'd hooked something up to
an already existing connection to the dish ghe only way I "communicate" with
Sky is the monthly callback thing that handles the purchase of ppv events.

All very odd - and as you say - seemingly devised specifically to confuse.

Cheers
Rob