Re: [Hampshire] [Way OT] FreeSat

Author: rob
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Way OT] FreeSat
On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 14:14 +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
> [...]

[snip]

> Freesat broadcasts all the free channels that you can receive over
> freeview from a satellite (AFAIK, there might not be a 100% overlap but
> they are all there for the main channels), which conveniently happens to
> be the same one that Sky uses ;). These channels are completely
> un-encrypted and can be viewed without needing a card. Before the Freesat
> launch you could view many channels without needing a card (BBC etc.) but
> Channel4, more4 etc. were encrypted so you needed the card.
>
> Now all these channels are free and un-encrypted over the satellite, all
> you need is a dish pointing in the right direction (e.g. a already
> installed sky dish) and an appropriate receiver.
>
> Freesat currently only has 1 HD channel, BBC HD, but there are plans from
> ITV and others to provide extra HD channels later. To receive the HD
> channel you will need an HD capable box, which are more expensive, if you
> can live with just normal SD content then you can get a box for about £50

Not forgetting of course having an HDTV to watch the stuff on.

Also, I put freesat in another room at the time I upgraded to sky+ and
the card cost me £1 from ebay, not £20 oh, and that included postage :)

the non sky+ boxes are dirt cheap on ebay nowadays as are the original
tiny dishes.

Rob.