Re: [Hampshire] Novatech laptop deal

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Novatech laptop deal
Alan Bell wrote:
> We have a couple of Novatech laptops, purchased because they supply
> without O/S. They don't do anything special to support Linux, the TV
> tuner on my laptop still doesn't do anything (not that I have any idea
> why I would want a TV tuner on my laptop in the first place) and I can't
> get the integrated camera to work. It may start to work one day, but I
> really don't care much. They are mostly rebadged Clevo laptops (and
> rebadged other things no doubt).
> Maybe the Intel Atom chip which is just starting to appear will make a
> difference to little laptops in a few months time.

I recently bought a mid range desktop from Novatech. I chose them
simply because they are one of the few vendors who offer their product
range, priced, without any OS.

I thought their quality is reasonable and their prices ok too. I
talked to the staff at the Reading outlet, they do not particularly
use anything but windows personally (note1).

The PC an isys elite pro it has an MSI motherboard, intel processor
and nvidia chipset with audio. The onboard audio only partially worked
(Ubuntu 8.04) and presumably needs the drivers for Audio codec Realtek
888. I got a useful response on their forum from a resident agent who
pointed to some drivers and information, and could tell me also that
he had the sound ok with Mandriva One.
My quick solution is to use a PCI soundcard anyway.

Note 1:
I am attracted to the idea of offering Novatech Reading a demo
session from a small bunch of linux users. There are two of us locally
who have expressed an interest. If anyone here can also offer please
let me know?

--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391