Re: [Hampshire] Re: Novatech laptop deal

Author: Russell Gadd
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: Novatech laptop deal
Mike Dwerryhouse wrote:

<snip>

> ISTR reading somewhere that Microsoft had loosened up their policy on
> licensing Vista on VMs. It used to be only the expensive versions (Ultimate
> Edition?), but I have the impression you can install other versions now.
> However, a quick google failed to turn up anything which confirms this.
>
> MikeD

Thanks for this clue. I googled also and found this article which says
they have relented and now allow Vista Home to be used in a VM

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080121-microsoft-relents-vista-virtualization-ban-lifted.html

Now I wonder how I should proceed. I don't know if I will have to
"activate" Vista. If so maybe I should defer that and wait until I have
it running in the VM, so making it less painful to get the thing
activated. Forgive me if I am thinking aloud here, this is hardly the
place to continue discussing how to do things with MS OS's ....

Russell