Re: [Hampshire] Big home backups

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Big home backups
Rob Malpass <lug@???> wrote:
> Out of interest - what are people's views on
> tapes? Still popular in commercial circles I
> hear - but I'm not sure it's a worthwhile option
> for home.

At The Society of St. James' sites, I mainly use
DDS-3 and DDS-4 tapes - all I can afford with no
budget. They're reasonably reliable, if you can
find the right hardware, but small - 20GB
uncompressed for the DDS-4.

At The Society's main office, we have a Quantum
DLT-V4, bought new rather than refurbished. That's
160GB uncompressed, and has proved to be a very
reliable system. It's not cheap, though - drive,
six tapes, and a cleaning tape came to ~UKP 850.

That DLT was the biggest drive I could find before
the prices became silly - the next step up was
nearly UKP 2k for the drive alone!

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.