[Hampshire] kppp dialling problem - Expecting: CONNECT

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] kppp dialling problem - Expecting: CONNECT
Every now and then I like to check that my dial-up is still working so
that when (sorry, IF) the broadband disappears I can still get on
line.

I use kppp to connect but at the moment I can't get it to work. The
(external) modem does all its warbling then goes quiet and kppp hangs
at the 'Expecting CONNECT' stage.

In the end I tried using pppd directly and all was well. The expected
CONNECT arrived and the chat script proceeded as normal.

Does anyone else use kppp with Debian unstable, and if so is it working for you?

TIA, Peter