Re: [Hampshire] Dumb dpkg/aptitude question

Author: Aaron West
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Dumb dpkg/aptitude question
Richard Danter wrote:
> 2008/6/6 Dr Adam J Trickett <adam.trickett@???>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 at 12:50:16PM +0100, Richard Danter wrote:
>>
>>> I have a .deb file (it's the PUEL version of VirtualBox) that I want
>>> to install on a headless server. dpkg -i reports lots of missing
>>> dependencies and of course dpkg can't go and resolve them from the
>>> usual repositories. Aptitude can get things from repositories but not
>>> install a local .deb file (or am I missing something?).
>>>
>>> So what is the best way to install a local deb and resolve all the
>>> dependencies? Is there no command line tool to do both local and
>>> repository installation?
>>>

>> What is wrong with the VirtualBox-OSE edition in stock Debian (Lenny and
>> later) or Ubuntu? I only ask as using vendor supplied debs is always
>> best if you can. If you only need to run VirtualBox headless, i.e.
>> without X then that's easy to arrange if you need.
>>

> I just found that the performance was not too good (I did a test on
> another system) and using rdesktop to the PUEL version was much
> better. The other system already had all the dependencies installed so
> I am hitting this issue only on the headless server (Ubuntu 8.04
> Server).
>
> Rich

Hopefully this will help you do it information was found here:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-basico.en.html

Aaron West

    2.2 How to use APT locally

Sometimes you have lots of packages .deb that you would like to use APT
to install so that the dependencies would be automatically solved.

To do that create a directory and put the .debs you want to index in it
. For example:

     # mkdir /root/debs

You may modify the definitions set on the package's control file
directly for your repository using an override file. Inside this file
you may want to define some options to override the ones that come with
the package. It looks like follows:

     package priority section

package is the name of the package, priority is low, medium or high and
section is the section to which it belongs. The file name does not
matter, you'll have to pass it as an argument for |dpkg-scanpackages|
later. If you do not want to write an override file, just use
|/dev/null|. when calling |dpkg-scanpackages|.

Still in the /root directory do:

     # dpkg-scanpackages debs file | gzip > debs/Packages.gz

In the above line, file is the override file, the command generates a
file |Packages.gz| that contains various information about the packages,
which are used by APT. To use the packages, finally, add:

     deb file:/root debs/

After that just use the APT commands as usual. You may also generate a
sources repository. To do that use the same procedure, but remember that
you need to have the files .orig.tar.gz, .dsc and .diff.gz in the
directory and you have to use Sources.gz instead of Packages.gz. The
program used is also different. It is |dpkg-scansources|. The command
line will look like this:

     # dpkg-scansources debs | gzip > debs/Sources.gz

Notice that |dpkg-scansources| doesn't need an override file. The
sources.list's line is:

     deb-src file:/root debs/

--
Aaron West

Dr. Zachary Smith: Sarcasm is the recourse of the weak mind.