Re: [Hampshire] whatever happened to Unix time? (Hardy 8.04)

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] whatever happened to Unix time? (Hardy 8.04)
2008/6/10 Tony Whitmore <tony@???>:

> Just to clarify UTC is not UNIX time, but Coordinated Universal Time.
> Essentially it replaces GMT.

Yes, sorry that was a whoops on my part which I did not spot until
after hitting Send.
The 1.2E10 number was the thing I meant to be referring to.

2008/6/10 Bob Dunlop <bob.dunlop@???>:

> I'd speculate that the option has been removed as part of the dumbing
> down of the Ubuntu interface for the non-literate user.

The way the 'help' page says "this is used by <gasp> developers...
sort of supports that speculation

> More than that I can't say as I stopped
> using Ubuntu when they stopped supporting my Mac.

Sorry to hear that - that sounds like a retrograde step.

> It is possible to get unixtime back by changing a value in gconf-editor.

I very rarely go there - always looked too much like a "Registry Editor"!

> For me, the value is in apps->panel->clock_screen0->prefs, and the name
> of the value is "format". If you change the value to "unix", your clock
> should change to unixtime.

Well in mine it was there as 'panel->applets->applet_0' (with another
clock as a different applet_n instance too) and that did the trick!
Thanks!!

Interestingly, the 'Key Documentation' in the gconf-editor said
This key specifies the hour format used by the clock applet. Possible
values are "12-hour", "24-hour", "internet", "unix" and "custom". If
set to "internet", the clock will display Internet time. The Internet
time system divides the day into 1000 ".beats". There are no time
zones in this system, so time is the same all over the world. If set
to "unix", the clock will display time in seconds since Epoch, i.e.
1970-01-01. If set to "custom", the clock will display time according
to the format specified in the custom_format key.

There is also a key still present called 'unix-time' :
The use of this key was deprecated in GNOME 2.6 in favour of the
'format' key. The schema is retained for compatibility with older
versions.

So all in all I suppose it's a case of the funtionality being changed
and the docs getting out of date.

My thanks to all!