Re: [Hampshire] eeePC 900 WiFi problem

Author: Aaron West
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] eeePC 900 WiFi problem
alan c wrote:
> Aaron West wrote:
>> Jim Kissel wrote:

>>> Checking my network connections I have recently connected to 4
>>> different wireless access points using WEP with eeePC. No problems
>>> other than typing in long keys in hex.
>>>
>> As a big fan of my 701 I assume when you say you have checked the
>> forums you mean www.eeeuser.com also check the wiki great community
>> there.
>>
>> Anyway just a few links worth a look at
>>
>> http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:wpawithspaces
>> and
>> http://wiki.eeeuser.com/wpa_default_xandros
>
> thanks, yes. It is these eee forms which highlighted the problem for me
> after I had spent the morning without success in the cafe.
>
> For examples
>
> http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=155795#p155795
> 'I had this problem for the first time yesterday at a coffee shop in
> the area. I noticed that the Eee reported it received a DHCPOFFER but
> never responded to that. Subsequently, when I tried to connect, I got
> the dreaded "NO DHCPOFFER" messages. When I assigned the wireless
> card a static IP it worked fine.
> I suspect that at least part of the problem perhaps lies in the DHCP
> client used on the Eee. I've been trying to track down information,
> I've only been moderately successful so far. I do know the Eee uses
> the client from isc.org.
> Anyway, the network I was trying to connect to was an open network, so
> WEP/WPA wasn't an issue. If I stumble across anything usefull I'll
> post it here. I suspect either a DHCP timeout - the Eee is timing out
> on the offer before it responds or something similar.'
>

> http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=10042
> http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=52247
> http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=17594

To be honest I have had that exact problem both on my eeepc with
Xandros, Gutsy and even my HP 6325 with Hardy. In fact last time I
couldn't get dhcp I was at a large MS 2003 network and plugged in via a
cable had to reboot twice then bang it found it. Also it worked with a
static so maybe there is something more general wrong I wonder if it is
all the same version of dhcp client. Also have you tried it command line
yet "dhcpcd wlan0" or whatever try it a couple of times if it fails that
got my NX6325 working although very annoying.

--
Aaron West

Dr. Zachary Smith: Sarcasm is the recourse of the weak mind.