Re: [Hampshire] A good article about open source in educatio…

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] A good article about open source in education
Roger Munford wrote:
> http://www.itpro.co.uk/603639/becta-open-source-and-education-too-little-too-late/3

Perhaps we ought to offer Barrett a bit of free installation and training...

"But incredibly Barrett, the 'buying solution chief executive' for OGC,
told the Committee: "I thought I would investigate the use of open
source software on my personal computer at home. I got a licence, free
of charge, but after three hours of struggling to retrain myself from
many years of using Microsoft, I abandoned it. On a sample of one, me
personally, it was more cost effective to stay with Microsoft. Those
arguments, when magnified across the whole public sector, may well sway
the balance against the open source software..."