Re: [Hampshire] kde shutdown hangs machine - Slackware 12.1

Author: Mike Dwerryhouse
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] kde shutdown hangs machine - Slackware 12.1
Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> This is a Slackware issue I think. I'm having a problem with a clean
> install of Slack 12.1. In typical Slack fashion it's got the
> difficult things (like my notorious graphics card that foxed both FC8
> and Ubuntu 8.04) right but screwed up the keyboard layout and the
> wheel mouse. Neither of those insurmountable - but here's the real
> headache...
>
> When I end a kde session - the machine just blanks the screen and
> hangs. I've tried ctrl+alt+backspace, ctrl+alt+f1 but the only
> workaround I've found is to ssh into it and reboot. Even trying to
> kill off a few likely processes hasn't fixed it. I've googled around
> and turned up nothing. The only small clue I can offer is it still
> seems to be in graphics mode i.e. the monitor shows the almost black
> sort of background that is shows during any startup of X - so it could
> well be a graphics driver issue - but I wouldn't really know where to
> start if this is the case.
>
> Cheers
> Rob

I have a copy of Slack12.1 ready for install, probably this weekend, and
I'll let you know if
I have any problems. Of course with a different machine, the chances
are it'll all work
for me.

It occurs to me that if you can ssh in, can you see what is still
running (the X server, the window
manager etc) and abort it?

Also, have you tried other window managers/desktop environments, to see
if it's a KDE thing?

MikeD