Re: [Hampshire] Internet Explorer on Linux

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Internet Explorer on Linux
Paul Tansom wrote:
> ** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2008-06-25 09:17]:
>
>> On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 06:41 +0100, Sean Gibbins wrote:
>>
>>> It's a shame that the excellent 'IE Tab' Firefox plugin is not available
>>> for Linux -
>>>
>> Unsurprising given the requirement of that add-in is for IE to be
>> installed, and given there is no IE for linux, it's not going to work.

Bah, damn you and your ability to read the manual Alan!

To be honest I knew it wasn't available for Linux and lost interest in
digging deeper at that point, being of the 'if it needs instructions it
is probably too complicated for me' school.

Still, it works well in Windows and is a life-saver in our IE 'rich'
environment at work.

>> However, you could install the Windows version of Firefox under WINE and
>> install IE to get the worst of both worlds :)
>>
> ** end quote [Alan Pope]
>
> Given that you can get IE running under Wine it isn't that unreasonable
> a possibility. It would undoubtedly take somewhat more work to get the
> Firefox rendering to use the IE engine through Wine than if the
> rendering was natively Linux based though. I'd put it down as an
> interesting challenge - if I had the time and/or the right skill set :)

Both of which I lack, along with patience, so I would opt for WinXP
running in VirtualBox if I were that desperate for IE.

Sean