Re: [Hampshire] [OT] APC Smart-UPS 1500 problems

Author: trotter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] APC Smart-UPS 1500 problems
At 19:10 25/06/2008, you wrote:
>alan c wrote:
>>James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I know it is off topic, but I can hope....
>>>
>>>I friend of mine has an old UPS.
>>>The problem is that none of the lights on the front of the UPS are lit
>>>and trying to switch on the unit does not light them.
>>>Does anyone have experience with fixing these UPS things? What might
>>>the problem be?
>>>He has checked the fuses already.
>>
>>My guess would be that the battery is no good
>>or even has been disconnected or removed. They
>>are basically a battery with some electronics.
>>The APC units are usually regarded as high quality stuff.
>>
>>Their website is worth looking at I think they
>>have user handbooks for download.
>If you're looking for new batteries I'd
>recommend www.mdsbattery.co.uk, they only
>charged me £8 for 6 sets and they were heavy :-)
>
>I might have some old batteries that I've
>removed from a APC 1500 kicking around at work,
>they'd report back a failing on the UPS but at
>least you'd know if it was worth the money. If
>I've not got a set now I will over the summer as
>a few are due for replacement as we swap them
>out every 2 to 3 years on the 1500's.

I would second the recommendation for mdsbattery
as i have got a battery for my belkin ups.

I wouldn't recommend the belkin ups though as its
obvious setup inside to not have the battery changed.
I had to bend the battery cage to replace the
battery. When this battery goes is a new ups for me.

Martin N