Re: [Hampshire] gtk update

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: testermike, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] gtk update
2008/6/26 Mike Burrows <testermike@???>:
> On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 21:18 +0100, Peter Salisbury wrote:
>> 2008/6/23 Mike Burrows <testermike@???>:
>> > Hello Folks.
>> >
>> > Just tried to run the 3.0 version of firefox on etch but getting an
>> > error informing me that GTK+ is "out of date". Its telling me I need
>> > GTK+2.10 or later. Problem is I can't find a package that's called that
>> > specifically and of course there are a bejillion packages with gtk in
>> > them and to be honest, I'm not sure which ones I need.
>> >
>> > Any guidance gratefully received.
>> >
>> > Mike
>>
>> I think the relevant package is libgtk2.0-0 (version is 2.12.10-2 in
>> unstable atm)
>> HTH, Peter
>
> Sorry Peter, looks like its already installed
>
> marvin:/home/testermike# locate libgtk2.0-0
> /usr/lib/libgtk2.0-0
> /usr/lib/libgtk2.0-0/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders
> /usr/lib/libgtk2.0-0/gtk-query-immodules-2.0
> /usr/lib/libgtk2.0-0/gtk-update-icon-cache
> /usr/lib/libgtk2.0-0/update-gdkpixbuf-loaders
> /usr/lib/libgtk2.0-0/update-gtk-immodules
> /usr/share/doc/libgtk2.0-0
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/libgtk2.0-0.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/libgtk2.0-0.md5sums
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/libgtk2.0-0.postinst
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/libgtk2.0-0.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/libgtk2.0-0.shlibs
>
> also this shows up when trying to install 2.10
>
> marvin:/home/testermike# aptitude install libgtk2.10
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> Building tag database... Done
> Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "libgtk2.10"
> No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
>
> Bit stuck now :( Googling doesn't seem to help other than to confirm
> that libgtk2.10 actually exists
>
> Am I using the correct procedure to install the library?

Yes, that looks right - aptitude is my installer-of-choice

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages will tell you
all about what packages are at what versions etc. According to that,
the version in etch is still at 2.8.20-7.

aptitude will tell you what version you have installed (type 'v' when
on the package to see if any other versions are available).

Usually aptitude stops you installing incompatible versions though, so
there's something odd going on - where did you get your firefox 3
from?

ATB, Peter