Re: [Hampshire] installing an iso.

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: testermike, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] installing an iso.
Mike Burrows wrote:
>> 64 Studio is a distro in its own right so you'd need to install as
>> a virtual thingummy. I have used VirtualBox successfully and so have
>> others on the list, but I don't know if it is available for etch.
>>

> That's great thanks. I'll stick with audacity for now. That said, back
> to the original question. Are apps available as iso's and can they be
> installed by downloading to the hard disk rather than burning a cd?

In theory, and generally speaking, you /could/ do that but it would be
largely pointless - you might as well just download the binaries or the
tarball and install to the hard drive in the normal way.

However, it is possible to mount an ISO as a virtual CD or DVD, and then
access it as if it were a CD or DVD present in an optical drive on your
machine. In this case all you would see is the installation media for 64
Studio or a live CD for the same.

If you want to simply try 64 Studio there is (according to the downloads
section) a live CD you can run up, as I say. Alternatively you can
download the ISO, install VirtualBox, mount the ISO as a virtual CD/DVD
(you can do this within VirtualBox) and then install it to your hard
drive in the normal way as a virtual machine, which in a sense will give
you the Studio 64 'application suite' running as a separate entity on
your Debian machine.

http://www.debianadmin.com/create-virtual-machines-using-virtualbox-in-debian.html

I haven't reviewed this article but I use VirtualBox here and it is
reasonably straightforward to install and use.

Sean