RE: [Hampshire] Openmoko Freerunner bulk order

Author: Bond, Peter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: RE: [Hampshire] Openmoko Freerunner bulk order
> I will need to decide on what the exchange rate is going to be, and
> I'm told that there may be charges for (a) paying the VAT to HMRC, and
> (b) wiring the money to the USA.

Charges for paying the VAT? Sounds a little like a recursive... "We need a fee paying to accept money". A new one on me - a recent purchase ended up zero-duty rated because they didn't know what to classify it as, so VAT was paid on the purchase price of the unit at the airport (wee brother hand carried). No other charges.

I used NatWest's Relay service recently to send a chunk of money to the US - only cost £8 AFAIR. However, it glitched as the receipient's account wasn't actually a bank account - it was a local bank who had a Wells Fargo account, then administered their account into their customers accounts. Got there in the end, but was a little nerve-wracking. Other options I looked at was International Money Order (which felt too much like sending cash in the post) or Western Union Money Transfer, which is inordinately expensive in comparison.

HTH

Peter

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND
CONFIDENTIAL to TANDBERG Television, Part of the Ericsson Group.
If received in error please notify the sender and destroy the original
message and attachments.

www.tandbergtv.com