Re: [Hampshire] sun enterprise 4500 (12 cpu 28 gb ram) uno p…

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] sun enterprise 4500 (12 cpu 28 gb ram) uno problemo :s
Isaac Close wrote:
> hi all,
>
> This isn't the correct list, i know but imagine 12 x 64bit cpu's each
> with 8MB cache, to wash it down is 28GB ram. I have just bought one of
> these monstros but its dead on arrival, the seller offers a full refund,
> but i just want to put it to work.

We had some old sun beasties from a client who upgraded.

Things we hit were

1) case open switches
    Unless the case is closed (correctly) the machine will not boot.
    Take every cover off, look for nd check the microswitch then refit
all covers.

2) loose cards/memory will cause some boot diagnostics to pre-fail
    (in this case you get a quick flash and "back to dead")

I *assume* you reseated every card, memory bank, cpu etc as Sun
(server) stuff is prone to unset during transit?

> If you know some things about these old dawgs do let us know, it would
> really be nice to see with my own eyes a ``make -j3`` amongst other
> sparc joy moments.

I would hate to see your leccy bill. I have four oldish boxen here and
mine is worrying enough.

Jacqui