Re: [Hampshire] Grub

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Grub
Stevens S. wrote:
> Hi Everyone yet another beginners question.
>
> I have a dual boot machine at the moment (BBC iplayer....remember?) anyway it gives me so many options for Ubuntu
>
> all the way from
>
> Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
>
> down to
>
> Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
>
> each with a recovery mode, so in total there are 10 different Ubuntu options. My question is 'Do I need all of these?'

The easy answer is "no". :) If you've been using the most recent kernel
(i.e. 2.6.24-19-generic) without issue, then you're unlikely to need to
rollback and use any of the earlier ones.

> I have located the menu.1st file and it contains each of the options in a section like this:
>
> title           Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-17-generic (recovery mode)
> root            (hd0,5)
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-17-generic root=UUID=a55eaaf8-37fb-4ca3-8b3e-87f5e8f91e03 ro single
> initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-17-generic

> is it simply a case of deleting that section. Will that then remove the option from my menu without making any drastic problems for the computer.

That would do it, but it's better to use your package manager to remove
the old kernel packages for you. I don't know whether you prefer to use
synaptic or aptitude or apt-get but a search for the kernel version
number should show up the packages and let you remove them.

Thanks,

Tony