Re: [Hampshire] Slow Processor

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Alan Pope, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Slow Processor
Alan Pope wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 08:11:23PM +0100, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
>
>> Dmidecode and cpuinfo both show it as running at 800MHz.
>>
>> I don't have cpuspeed running, and the laptop isn't running on
>> battery, so I am confused. What else could it be?
>>

> Working as designed? CPU being scaled back to lower clock rates than maximum
> when it's idle.

That was certainly the case with my VIA C3 800MHz jobby - I was most put
out to see it running at 400MHz when I did a 'cat /proc/cpuinfo', and in
the end I had to convince myself that it was capable of running at
800MHz by running a few cpu-intensive commands and catting out the file
while it was under load! :P

Sean