Re: [Hampshire] GNU Linux mnemonics

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GNU Linux mnemonics
> As I was learning Linux and especially during my RHCT training I wanted
> there to be a nice set of mnemonics to help me commit commands to memory -
> there isn't that I know about. I have therefore made up a couple and if
> other HL readers have their own home made (or inherited) mnemonics I think
> it would be useful to compile them here for newbies and experienced
> readers (literally any command, regex, one-liner bash/perl script
> qualifies) alike.
>
> Damian

I sort of just know them. I've never in my life been any good an learning
"compound facts", which made my useless at Chemistry (hehe nice pun on the
word compound there!). Give me low level items that I can explain and
learn I'm fine, give me something large made up of smaller parts I don't
understand to learn and I'm useless!

So I know how to use the basic commands, grep etc. and I know how to stick
them together using pipes, xargs etc.

Also having a low level computing background I'm used to bit
representation etc.

If I luck out I fall back on man, which usually solves my problems. But
again I'm a programmer so I understand man pages, as they are mostly
written by programmers ;). apropos is your friend here if you don't know
what you are looking for. Usually with Linux my starting point is to
assume there is a command that does what I want, then go hunting with
apropos / google to find it!

So I don't have any easy was to remember these things, my brain "just
does" (tm), I assume that one day I'll run out of room in there and things
will start falling out, but it hasn't happened yet (touch wood)