[Hampshire] Re: TRYING to set up my own simple mail server? …

Author: Jason Butwell
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Re: TRYING to set up my own simple mail server? Can anyone help?
Hi, Thanks for your info there, but maybe I didnt make myself clear in the
first instance.

Basically the reasons for doing this is to try to set up a small email
server that will be used by about 10 people tops in a small office. There is
a budget on it but obviously I need to do it as cheap as possible. The idea
is to be able to send emails around the office along with big attachments
and to be able to accept individual email from the outside world and to be
able to send email to the outside world via the ISP's smart host if possible
so they can handle the spamming/abuse issues, etc. It is necessary for the
individuals to be able to get their email via web interface such as
squirrelmail and outlook would be welcome too if possible. I wanted
spamassasin and clamav installed to take care of any crap that comes in.

My domain name is jmbit.co.uk and my dyndns is jasybee2000.ath.cx, obviously
it wasnt bob.co.uk as mentioned earlier as that was an example and not to
reveal the real addresses but I am now doing so here to alleviate the
confusion of someone saying dont use that domain as it belongs to someone
else. Erm, well yeah! obviously! My name is Jason so why the hell would I
have a domain called bob.co.uk! Thought that was obvious!

I have already had a word with a friend who knows a bit about this and he
has informed me that using a combination of a dyndns.org name a real domain
name should not be a problem. He basically told me to change the DNS
settings on the jmbit.co.uk domain to the following:

A, CNAME and TXT records
Name    Type    Content.
@ A 194.154.164.82 (unchanged)
mail CNAME jasybee2000.ath.cx.
www A 194.154.164.82 (unchanged)

MX Records
Name    Priority
jasybee2000.ath.cx. 10

Does anyone agree with this? I am going to try this again from a different
tutorial on how to forge - entitled the perfect server. This is just a way
to try and test this out to see if I can get email back and forth from this
server. I understand I have to forward the ports from my cable router as the
jasybee2000.ath.cx points to that by default. Does this look feasible in any
sense? I am not sure as to wether the mail relay to smtp.ntlworld.com is
going to work but I can telnet into it no problem so I presume their
mailserver smtp is open? I am not sure about the authentication rules on
that one? I think i'll give this a try and report back?

My friend informs me I have to call the box mail and update the hosts file
to include mail.jmbit.co.uk pointing to its internal IP as well? If anyone
has any other info or thoughts on this I would really appreciate it. I think
I understand things a bit better but obviously I feel like i'm being dropped
from a great height into freezing cold water! Please no more flaming my
efforts, I am really trying to understand this here! Someone give me some
credit at least!